These last few years of the COVID-19 pandemic have taught us not to take our health for granted. So it’s important to remember another virus—influenza (flu)—that comes along every year, and put the flu shot high on the season’s must-do list.
A flu vaccine helps build up defenses against the flu virus, so your clients can stay well and enjoy this fall and winter.
Current guidance from the CDC states that “everyone 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine every season with rare exceptions.” Those at higher risk for flu (or susceptible to complications) include pregnant people, young children, adults over 65, people with asthma or other respiratory issues, and people with heart disease.
The flu can cost people more than just their health
Getting the flu means missing work, school, and lost time to do the things we love. The flu can also create a financial burden when medical care or hospitalization is needed.
Members get a flu shot for a nice, round number: $0
For PacificSource members, flu shots are available at no cost, whether through local pharmacies, employer-sponsored events, doctors’ offices, or other venues. And your employer group clients with medical coverage can host a flu shot clinic at their workplace. (Copay for an office visit may apply.)
In-network pharmacies welcome drop-ins!
Members can simply show up at a nearby pharmacy, such as Sav-On/Albertsons, Costco, CVS, Fred Meyer, and Safeway. They just need to show their PacificSource ID card (or member ID in the myPacificSource mobile app).
What can you do to help?
Simple: Recommend flu vaccination to your clients. The flu vaccine is the most effective form of protection, reducing the risk of catching the flu by up to 60% and lessening the severity for those who do get it.
- Be a role model—get the vaccine yourself and talk about it. Consider sharing your experience, including your “why,” on social media.
- Remind your clients that PacificSource makes flu shots convenient and affordable.
- Remind your PacificSource Medicare clients they can earn a $10 gift card reward* once per calendar year for getting their flu shot. Once their medical claim has been processed, they receive a reward certificate in the mail with instructions to choose a gift card from more than 100 popular retailers.
- If clients express vaccine hesitancy, please encourage them to talk to their doctor.
We've made it easy. For your convenience, we've created email templates you can download from InTouch, customize, and send to your clients.
* PERS members are not eligible for this reward.