With all the long hours of sitting at our jobs, it can be difficult to get in a full workout. Luckily, there are all sorts of ways to add small doses of movement throughout your day. Following are five ideas to help you be more fit for life:
- Move it every hour. Set a timer to get out of your chair or try a new exercise. The idea is to allow yourself a few quick minutes to get in a dose of movement. Even standing is good. Incorporating regular walks and stretch breaks helps our bodies and our minds.
- Challenge yourself. Start as small as you like, but go for it: Complete a certain number of squats, pushups, sit-ups, or you-name-its during the course of the day. By pumping out 5–10 reps or 30–60 seconds each time, you’ll be upping your strength and stamina in no time.
- Keep a log. What you see gets done—there’s a lot of power in writing things down and tracking progress over time. For each hour or day that you incorporate a movement, check it off or log it using an app or notepad. You’ll quickly see how little movements add up!
- Track your steps and take the stairs. While research touts 10,000 steps or more per day for maximal health benefits, aim for 1,000 more than whatever you’re currently doing—even a few thousand makes a difference. Every step (and stair) counts!
- Be a force for the team. From coworker challenges to walking meetings, be creative in rallying the crew for regular movement, friendly competition, and social support.
Free online tools and resources
As a PacificSource member, you can access CaféWell, a secure health engagement portal that helps support your health goals. To get started, log into InTouch, click Benefits, then select "Wellness - CafeWell" in the dropdown menu.
With CaféWell, you get:
- Personalized health resources and action plans
- Activities, wellness challenges, and expert health coaching
- Communities of health experts
- Helpful tips and articles on a variety of health and wellness topics
- On-the-go access with the CaféWell mobile app
Get the most out every month’s topic with print-ready materials. Download fliers and more.
- Newsletter article
- Flier (use as a flier, poster, payroll stuffer, or table tent)
- Text messages
Winning at Wellness monthly e-newsletter
Get savvy about wellness at the workplace.