4 tips to support your charitable efforts
Today’s social problems can feel massive compared to our ability to quickly solve them. When faced with such challenges, two difficult questions can contribute to the solution:
- Which organizations are worth our time and effort?
- How do we prioritize our time, energy, and resources?
While the art of giving can be rewarding, the following four tips can best support your charitable efforts.
Establish your capacity to donate, and decide where to give. Giving starts with the exploration of options. These can include volunteering, financial contributions, and creating awareness in your social circle. Evaluate your unique situation, and decide which form of giving best fits your lifestyle.
Choose an organization that’s important to you. There are more than 1.5 million nonprofit organizations in America alone! Some questions to focus your efforts are:
- What issues concern you the most?
- How do you want to help the next generation?
- What is your superpower skill, and how would you like to apply it?
Choose an organization that’s been validated. With so many options out there, it’s important to keep in mind that not all nonprofits are created equal. To make sure that your energy and dollars are going to the right place, consider the following:
- Look at their website. Are there details about their programs and how donations are allocated? Find their mission statement, and make sure it aligns with your goals.
- Find out if the charity is registered. Some states require charities to register with a state regulator. Visit the National Association of State Charity Officials website to make sure the charity exists.
Act. Once you’ve decided on your capacity for giving, the next step is to reach out and connect with your organization of choice. In many cases, the contacts for volunteer coordination, marketing, and financial contributions can be found on an organization’s website. Just be clear about your capacity to help, so you set yourself up for a rewarding experience.
The fact that you are motivated to give back should be celebrated! Most of us want to make our world a better place, and by taking this action, you are a driver of that change. Happy giving!
Want to learn more? Go to our wellness toolkit, 8 ways to donate and give back.
Get the most out every month’s topic with print-ready materials. Download fliers and more.
- Newsletter article
- Flier (use as a flier, poster, payroll stuffer, or table tent)
- Text messages
Winning at Wellness monthly e-newsletter
Get savvy about wellness at the workplace.